Sunday, November 6, 2011

Letters to the floor.

Dear Floor Nurse #1,

I do realize I did not check Mrs. Smith's blood sugar at 12 noon today. Per protocol we check blood sugars q6h on every ICU pt. However, Mrs. Smith has no past medical history of diabetes and no abnormal sugars since admission. Not that I feel the need to explain, but... I did not check her noon blood sugar because my other patient, Mr. Bi-pap, wasn't doing so well. What's that now? You say her blood sugar is in the fifties now? Well, sorry to hear that, but I transfered Mrs. Smith to your floor almost four hours ago. And we are now in the middle of shift report. Sounds to me like to should either go grab an amp of D50 or call the doc. Not call me. 

Thanks.


Dear Floor Nurse #2,

Yes I do realize Mrs. Postpartum was admitted for preeclampsia. No her BP was not high before I discharged her to your floor. What was it for me exactly? 120s/80s. For six hours for me and several hours for night shift before I got here. You say her BP was elevated when you took her vitals right after you recieved her? Well you do remember she ambulated to the bathroom when we got down there (first ambulation in two days) and had a nice poop (first poop since admission). She also knew she was going to see her brand new baby for the first time, in NICU. My BP would probably be high too. If you're that concerned, call the doc, not me.


No comments:

Post a Comment